Thursday 8 October 2009

The Cosmic Mirror

One night while laying in bed, in my relaxed state I had found myself focusing on a shaving mirror I used to keep on my desk. Being as I was on the brink of sleep, and in an almost meditative state dwelling on the face of my mirror, my mind started to form an analogy: the waking reality is to the dream reality as the material world is to its reflection in the face of a mirror (or possibly vice versa). Not something I consciously "believed" at the time, and certainly not a thought that had ever really crossed my mind before, in fact not a concept I could even fully explain or rationalise today, but something I felt was punching above its weight and had more to it than met the eye.

I carried on swimming through my thoughts in my relaxed state and drifted off into sleep.

That night I had a dream that featured "The Voice". "The Voice" is a very rare visitor to the shores of my dreamlife, and has on one occasion invaded my waking life too. Now when I say rare, I mean it has only ever showed up a handful of times in my entire life. The Voice is a deep, authoritative, clear, loud and noble sounding male voice that tends to offer statements that come from outside my current consciousness: that is to say it offers perspectives that are alien to the things I believe, think, am aware of or concern myself with at the time of hearing it.

The dream was a bit of a muddle, especially now as I try to recall it, but I remember a swirling mass of dust or something of a cosmic nature, and the dream visuals eventually settling on the image of a pig. As I looked at the pig, which was an image being presented to me as opposed to the illusion of a real pig, I hear The Voice stating in its signature tone: The magical and mysterious substance of which dreams and time are composed.

What to make of that? "Dreams" and "time" are both composed of the same "magical and mysterious substance"? What substance would that be? And, well, what?

The dream itself wasn't much I will admit, but that The Voice put in an appearance and that the dream should occur on the same night I was dwelling on the analogy of the mirror makes it one of my most memorable and I believe most important.

What was the voice saying? The voice was telling me that in my relaxed free-thinking state just before falling into a blissful sleep, I had stumbled upon a deep truth relating to the nature of reality: that our dreams are made of the same substance that our material reality is: that the apparently objective and hard reality we call life/the world/the universe is not a solid material substance at all but a pliable, fluid consciousness that flows from a sentient centre and creates the perfect illusion of a solid material substance: just like a dream.

Just as when fully immersed in a dream all the furniture, foliage, people and places are completely real to us, and it is only upon waking that we can look back and realise we were dreaming: so it is with our waking lives, but to a more complex and consistent extent: only while we are here locked in our bodies does the illusion of reality remain intact, upon being liberated by spiritual enlightenment or physical death we will instantly see it for the dreamlike illusion it really is.

The idea is certainly not original to me, although at the time it was not a concept I was familiar with. I believe a truth was revealed to me that night, a truth that I have subsequently absorbed into my belief system; that reality is a dream emanating from God, and that material solidity is an illusion.

Row row row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily merrily merrily merrily
Life is but a dream

Date experienced: Approx. Spring 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home